Sunday, April 7, 2013

my daughter

our bodies,
which were once one
fit together still

your little head 
tucked perfectly against me
little fingers picking
at the softness
of my sweater

we were meant to be together
you and i
our differences more similar
our similarities more different

you mirror to me
all of my hopes and dreams
my strengths 
my weaknesses
my fears

from whence you came
you shall never fully return
but my heart
and yours
shall remain
connected

as you reach out into this world
exploring
growing
learning

in your own way
because of me
despite me
to spite me
regardless of me
learning

stumbling
more than others
perhaps
finding strength
more than others
perhaps

overcoming
all obstacles
never alone
always with my heart
connected

my strength 
connected
my happiness
connected
my love
connected
to you

little toes
pressed firmly 
against warm 
weathered flesh

little heart 
pressed firmly
against warm
weathered heart

giving
taking
connecting
loving
learning
teaching

you are

my daughter


No comments:

Post a Comment